Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Unexpected Trip

Long story, very short, Todd and I wound up taking Michael up to George, Washington in the middle of the night last Wednesday/Thursday. We departed at 1:00 a.m. and arrived at 8:00 a.m. a little bleary eyed but pretty spunky. We dropped M off with the rest of his youth group (who had arrived the previous afternoon for Creationfest) and decided to poke around central Washington a bit. A friendly waitress told us about Leavenworth, a Bavarian style town; and we used to be big fans of the show Northern Exposure, which was filmed in Roslyn, WA. So we headed a bit northwest and took in some beautiful and interesting country. (Blogger will only allow me 5 photos per blog, so there may be several.)
It is really a desert there! I wasn't expecting sagebrush. Along the highways I would see signs that said "Washington - The Evergreen State" and figure that someone in western WA had come up with that particular slogan. Kind of tickled me. It was anything but green.
It may have been brown, bu it was beautiful.
Okay, this was the next day heading back up the Columbia Gorge, beauiful Mount Hood.
It's very humbling to admit that I have no idea the name or location of this dam, beyond somewhere around Yakima. But I was flying on about three hours sleep - and I'm just not as resilient as I was 20 years ago! In places the Gorge looked like the Grand Canyon.


No comments: