Wednesday, August 20, 2008
But the biggest indicator that fall is coming is----both Michael and Tyler are in football! And boy, are they sore! They are finding muscles they never knew they had, and pain is the feeling. Pain! Groans, cracking joints, muffled snores - these are new sounds in the house. Well, it's new that they are heard from the teens...
Saturday, August 16, 2008
- I have prescription trifocals (without lines) that are ooooooold, and I couldn't read with them any more, so for $20 I bought reading glasses that I wear on top of my regular glasses. Prob'ly looks funky, but it'll do for now.
- I'm a mad rinser. I really rinse to excess. My hands, the clothes, the dishes. There's a sad cross issue that we have a low producing well which sometimes runs out of water in the summer time. My clothes are suffering without their extra rinse in the washer.
- I have an obsession with cooking in cast iron. I own at least seven pieces, and use them regularly. I know they're a little more trouble to wash properly, but it's so worth it to me. They heat quickly and responsively, they sear or simmer beautifully, they move from stovetop to oven, and food tastes better from them. And yes, they must be washed properly (no soap!) and dried on the hot stovetop, well, and then oiled a bit, but they're worth it.
- You may have noticed that I'm a bit of a Lord of the Rings fan. Yeah. Ask me anything.
- I have a secret dream to be the Next Food Network Star. But not as much as I used to.
This was the first real garden harvest - so satisfying! Michael wanted you to see the smallest lizard ever - that's a sunflower seed beside it. The lizards are so fast I don't know how the guys catch them. They always inspect them for health and remove any ticks they find. Isn't that yucky, that ticks also suck the life out of lizards? Poor things. Tonight's harvest. It has been beastly hot here this week and at least the cherry tomatoes are responding by ripening quickly (but not the large ones, which are developing blossom end rot unrelentingly - grrrrr!). There are also the first of the green beans - so tender and buttery! And more zucchini. Good thing we like those so much! We try to pick them when they are pretty small. That and some teriaki chicken strips and wild rice - yum yum!
Sunday, August 3, 2008
...as much as the minivan will hold. I mean, seriously, what the heck are we going to DO with all these?
Well, I'll tell you what I did until about 9:30 that night. I cleaned berries! And bagged and froze. I believe I owe Todd a real blueberry pie (thanks a lot, Karyn!), but I just can't face that quite yet.
Seriously, though, blueberry picking day is also blueberry cleaning day, and I love it because I get to watch LOTR movies! All. day. I got through the extended versions of Fellowship of the Ring, The Two Towers and more than halfway through Return of the King before I finished.
Of course, I had helpers. But they snuck out at 3:00 to go see some Mummy movie.Aren't blueberries beautiful?
I see cobblers, pies and plenty milkshakes in our future.
And after all, we did run out this year.
Saturday, August 2, 2008
Friday, August 1, 2008
I'll tell you how the sun rose,
Till when they reached the other side,