Saturday, June 21, 2008

Poetry Saturday, as I sit in the office and review appraisals...

There Once Was a Puffin

Oh, there once was a Puffin
just the shape of a muffin,
and he lived on an island
in the bright blue sea!

He ate little fishes,
that were most delicious,
and he had them for supper
and he had them for tea.

But this poor little Puffin,
he couldn't play nothin',
for he hadn't anybody
to play with at all.

So he sat on his island,
and he cried for awhile,
andHe felt very lonely,
and he felt very small.

Then along came the fishes,
and they said, "If you wishes,
you can have us for playmates,
instead of for tea!"

So they now play together,
in all sorts of weather,
and the Puffin eats pancakes,
like you and like me.

by Florence Page Jaques

This was one of Michael's favorite poems when he was a little guy. We memorized it together, along with all the voices and appropriate emotional wreckage. So it's one of my favs.

1 comment:

Laura said...

I love that poem too - perhaps I remember it because you and Michael read it to me! :) Hello from Greece!

And yes, I'm waiting to see pictures of your amazing vegetable beds and also to see how you filled in those very cool beds that Todd built!